Friday, July 1, 2011

On Love

“This is my idea of Heaven, lying here with you 
This is my idea of Heaven, nothing else I'd rather do 
To feel your heart beating 
To feel our lips meeting 
This is my idea of Heaven”
~ ‘My Idea Of Heaven’, by Leigh Nash
from her album “Blue On Blue”, 2006
I’m told love is a many splendoured thing.  I’ve heard it is everlasting.  It may also very well be magical, it’s likely quite the conquerer, and it is all you need.  It can apparently also be likened to those occasions when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, but I’m yet to verify that.  
The subject of love in all its various forms is a near obsession with artists, musicians, and writers world wide, to the point where instead of struggling to find a musical quote to kick off my thoughts, in this instance I was simply inundated with ideas.  I suspect it has a universality that most everyone can identify with on some level as to be an emotion common amongst all mankind.  Writing about the topic is almost pointless; I quite simply have nothing to add that any reader didn’t already know or hasn’t been said before by better writers than me.  I couldn’t even begin to do one of those amusing men are from Mars/women are from Venus comparisons.
What I can talk about with relative authority is the love I share with my dear wife, my WonderWoman.
I’ve known love before WonderWoman and I met, to be sure, familial as well as romantic, so I certainly can’t claim any romantic nonsense about not knowing anything of love until I had met her. However, in all truth, all I’ve experienced before meeting WonderWoman pales in comparison to what we share together now.  It is  genuinely the first time I’ve experienced all that love has to offer in human terms.  I’ve never experienced a relationship where a partner has been so overwhelmingly supportive and devoted to me as a man.  She encourages and loves not out of any selfish reason, not for what she can get out of the relationship, but for who I am.  To accept the real me as she does is no small stretch, I can assure you wholeheartedly.  Loving me is not the least complex of tasks, nor is it even vaguely easy.  It requires a patience and virtue that borders on the superhuman.  The WonderWoman moniker would seem to me to be beyond apt.
When we met, I had to deal with some enormous baggage of a life previously lived, all of which she has deftly navigated with utmost grace.  Since marrying, my respect and adoration of my WonderWoman has continually grown deeper and stronger with each passing year.  Surely deep and fundamental respect is the basis for any full experience of a true loving relationship, and she has much about her that commands that kind of respect from me; devotion flows as easy as breathing from there.
There is a certain quality in a life partner that I think is vital, and WonderWoman has it in spades: She finds a measure of amusement at my jokes.  This cannot be underestimated.  My jokes are seldom funny, and yet she will guffaw and grab me and squeeze me in amusement, her eyes positively dancing.  Even if this is completely faked, which it isn’t, (not that faking amusement isn’t entirely justified in this case), it shows a beautiful commitment to find fun in our relationship even when she need not do anything of the sort.
As if all this wasn’t much, much more than enough, she possesses no small measure of stunning beauty.  I could look at her forever and still get that familiar buzz to which I’ve become gratefully accustomed.   There’s beauty and there’s beauty, and then there’s WonderWoman.  She’s just incredibly, fantastically gorgeous.  I can’t imagine being luckier.
I feel like we’ve shared a lifetime of experiences, a feeling that belies the number of years we’ve spent together, and even still we manage to laugh and cry and romance each other as easily as falling off a bicycle without wheels.  That’s not as frequently achievable as those less jaded may imagine, as divorce statistics would no doubt attest.  From here on, I simply cannot imagine life any other way than by the side of my WonderWoman.
I strongly suspect she feels likewise.  In a world where more is seldom ever enough, I think that this might be.
**To follow the On Writing Blog on Facebook, click HERE and click the "Like" button**

No comments:

Post a Comment